Jewish Museum Vienna
ATTENTION: In accordance with the decree of the Austrian Federal Government, the Jewish Museum Vienna (including Museum Judenplatz) will close its doors until 13. April as a protective measure to contain the coronavirus.
In addition to the permanent exhibition “Our City! Jewish Vienna to the Present”, which illuminates Jewish Vienna from the Middle Ages to the present day, temporary exhibitions on various topics such as Jewish literature, architecture, photography and art. The Jewish Museum of the City of Vienna is a place of encounter, confrontation, and understanding, which seeks to raise awareness of Jewish history, religion, and culture.
The first Jewish museum in the world was founded in Vienna in 1895, sponsored by a group of Viennese Jewish citizens. The museum was closed by the Nazis in 1938 directly after the Anschluss. In the last year of its existence the inventory listed 6,474 objects.
Two weeks after Kurt Waldheim was elected Federal President, mayor Helmut Zilk announced the founding of a Jewish museum in Vienna at the opening of the “Vienna 1900” exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Jüdische Museum der Stadt Wien GmbH was founded in 1988, and the first exhibition opened on March 7, 1990, in temporary premises – the former ceremonial room of the IKG in Seitenstettengasse.
In 1992 mayor Zilk and Ursula Pasterk, city councilor responsible for culture, designated Palais Eskeles at Dorotheergasse 11 as the Museum’s future location. The IKG agreed to give its collection on permanent loan to the Jewish Museum Vienna and to allow it to be studied and used by the Museum’s curators.
After adaptation of the historical building, the opening took place in November 1993 in the presence of Vienna-born Teddy Kollek, mayor of Jerusalem.
Jüdisches Museum Wien
Sun – Fri 10am – 6pm
closed for Rosch ha-Schana & Jom Kippur
tel: +43-1-535 04 31
U-Bahn: U1, U3 Stephansplatz
Bus: 1A Stephansplatz
fare zone: inner area